Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random Thoughts Part 2-Strengths Finder

I took a personality test a while ago...I may have told you about it, its one of those Strength Builder or Discover your Strengths type deals where it tells your your top 5 dominant traits in your personality....I like to do these things because it causes introspection and provides some understanding. Here are my top 5...



Activator-People strong in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They are often impatient.



Responsibility-People strong in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do. They are committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty.



Achiever-People strong in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.



Learner-People strong in the Learner Theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.



Significance-People strong in the Significance theme want to be very important in the eyes of others. They are independent and want to be recognized.



I have to admit that they got it right, I am all of these for the better or worse. They also talked to me about how my strengths make a nice balance. During one of the exercises with my other Manager Team members, I had a few minutes while I was waiting for someone to finish and the trainer people were looking at my strengths (on a lanyard around my neck for the activity) and talked about how it was an interesting combination (does that mean totally whacked and crazy?) and how they created a compliment to each other and created a really strong personality and leader. Hmmmm, interesting....



The Activator and Achiever work together....that means I want to do it and I want to do it now, stop pussy footing around it and let's get going! You add in the Responsibility factor and I want to do it right and with integrity. Add the Learner...if I don't know how to do it, give me that manual by golly because we need to get started now....and then add in the Significance...and I want credit for it all, please tell me how good I am and let me get the award!



I have to admit that the whole Significance thing made me realize how vain I am...I do like the attention...in some cases I thrive on it....but you know what...I am the only member of my team who has this attribute...so, you know what that means? That means that when we have major events, they are all fine and dandy to be behind the scenes and they want me out front talking to people, working the room, and greeting dignitaries.....they do not want to do that, its just not them and they love it that I can and want to do that part of the event...so see, even something that may seem like its a little selfish, is a good thing for our team because we need a front man out there, the face that people see and know they can come to if something is not going right at their shin dig. It is total serendipity that our team has so much synergy and we work well together, it seems we have just the right combination of strengths to cover the gamut on an event....its a good thing...



An on to my personal life...I was so intrigued by this exercise that I went and bought another book because there is a code in the back and you can take the quiz online to see what your strengths are.....So, I had my husband do it and LOW AND BEHOLD.....drum roll puhlease....



We are NOTHING alike....not one strength do we have in common...nada, zilch...nothin'



Am I surprised? Maybe a little, but really, he and I are very different animals. While I am the do it, do it now type person, he is the "let's think about this, study it, and draw up a plan" for what we want to do and it doesn't matter to him that the plan may never happen or be implemented....he is Deliberative.



He also has Ideation and Analysis...loves ideas and reading about things and then thinking about them and analyzing them and thinking about it some more...then looking up some more info...then thinking thinking thinking...its enough to drive an Activator type C-R-A-Z-Y! So, I guess that whole "opposites attract" thing really does have some merit, and I see more and more that it is true, because we are definitely polar opposites on a lot of things, but that is okay because his strengths compliment my weaknesses, so its all good!



Anyway, if you are curious as to what your top 5 strengths are, I suggest that you take the test. You can find the books at places like Barnes & noble and it gives you a sealed pass code in the back of the book so that you can take the online test...you have to have 45 minutes of uninterrupted time to take the test, because it is timed and they want to know your gut reaction to every question.


Its been good for me to do this and to have my hubby do it too, it makes him make more sense to me and I see how and why he does things....even if they don't make sense to me or drive me batty at times. Plus, I think its always good to rediscover yourself and see where your strengths really lye (or lie? I am evidently having spelling and thinking issues today, its early people, I got up at 5am to work out!), because our strengths are what can make us great.

So, if this intrigues you, you might want to try it to. You have to have a book per person, so you can't share because the code only gives you one chance to answer all the questions (its gut instinct remember and their gut and your gut are different!).


This is what I do, I go to Google Product Search and enter Strengths Finder and then look online for it because I think its much cheaper online. My book for class had the price tag somewhere between $21.95-$25, I can't remember exactly and I don't have it handy (its probably under the laundry). However, I have seen it for as low as about $8 just make sure you get a new copy or one that for sure has the code still sealed. Here is the link to the Product Search I did. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=strengths+finder&hl=en&cid=16366531195245239933&scoring=p#ps-sellers





There is also one for older kids and teenagers, I think its called Strenths Builder or Guide, and it focuses on what they are good at and can help in looking at what they might want to do in life. I think it might help some teenagers who just don't know what to do or are trying to figure out who they are.

So...go figure out what you do best and embrace it and love it...you can still work on those darn weaknesses, but don't ever neglect your strengths because that is who you are. And your strengths change....they say there are about 10 strengths out of the 36 that are your real strengths and they will move around depending on what is going on in your life, this test tells you the top 5 core strengths and explains all 36 to you.


Make it a Beautiful Day!
Heather

No comments:

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!