Saturday, September 6, 2008

Recipe-Garlic Basil Shrimp


My friend Jenn posted this recipe on our recipe blog at http://recipestop.blogspot.com/ and I wanted to share it over here.

It is REALLY good and versatile as well. I have made it with shrimp, I have made it with chicken, and I think it would be yummy vegetarian as well. I added in some fresh spinach leaves when I add the tomatoes to pack an even more nutritional punch. This recipe is from Ellie Krieger on Food Network, she is the nutritionist with a healthy show, so its healthy to boot! (always a plus!) I also used fresh crushed red pepper paste instead of red pepper flakes (its one of my new fave spices!). I have also made it once with the white wine and once with white grape juice and they both tasted great, not sure I could tell a difference. I have served mine with whole wheat angel hair and whole wheat egg noodles, both were de-lish! Its it also a quick dish to make, I love that!

Garlic Basil Shrimp

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (20 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes, or more to taste

3/4 cup dry white wine (i used white grape juice)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the oil remaining in skillet and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.

Add wine and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.

Stir in basil and tomatoes and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Return the shrimp to pan and cook just until heated through.

Serve with orzo, pasta, rice or crusty bread.

YUM!

No comments:

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!