Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recipe-Paw Paw's Taters

Now, my mother would tell you the name of this dish is Party Potatoes....but the kids in my family call it Paw Paw Tater's!

Why you ask? Because one year for either Thanksgiving of Christmas, we went to my grandparents house for lunch to have the traditional meal. Well, my grandmother's health had started to deteriorate but that did not stop them from hosting this fabulous dinner. So, what did my wonderful grandfather do??? He made everything HIMSELF! Now, I am not shy to tell you that I have NEVER seen my Paw Paw in the kitchen, much less cooking....so the fact that he went to the effort to prepare almost the entire meal is just astounding to me...and to top it off...it was UBER YUMMY! Really, my dear old Paw Paw made a feast for the ages....and Paw Paw's Taters were born!

Its simple....

Pretend like you are going to make regular old mashed potatoes (which, by the way, you will never want again after you have them Paw Paw's way). So, take potatoe pearls, potatoe flakes, or actual real potatoes and cook 'em up! Now, all you do is add a block of cream cheese (use Neufchatel if you want 1/3 less fat) and a medium sized container of sour cream (fat free or lite is a-okay as well!) and mix them up with the potatoes. If you are making a wee amount (aka, single or double serving) then use far less this would probably be enough for an 8X12 pan. Now that it is all mixed and fabulous...add salt and pepper to taste and then put in the dish and spread out. Now top with some pats of butter and sprinkle with paprika and put in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It is SO YUM! In fact, I may need to run home and make some tonight! (By the way, I know I spell Potato(e) the old fashined way, but I just like it better that way!)

I also have started adding about a tablespoon of Mrs. Dash when I am mixing it together and calling it Herb Party Potatoes (in the formal setting) or just Herb Paw Paw's Taters.

Other variations....
add some shredded cheese for Cheesy Taters
add some mashed sweet potatoes for Potatoe Delight Taters
add some bacon bits, cheese and chives for Twice Baked Taters
really, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

I will try to make the above mentioned dish and post a pic soon!

UPDATED TO ADD--Add Butter too! I usually put a few pats of butter on the top before I bake it! (Thanks Linz)

1 comment:

Stamp With Linz said...

I always add butter too...that's why my version of PawPaw's taters are the best! :P
Your loving sister,
Lindsey

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!